Blog Archive

Friday

Mother who abandoned newborn twins re-appears as Nigerians pay hospital bill

oi
A woman, Sarah Ademola, who abandoned her twin babies at a hospital in Lagos over her inability to pay her medical bills after delivery, has reappeared.
Ms Ademola gave birth to a set of twins at the Felken Maternity Centre in the Somolu area of the state, but she absconded, leaving behind the two newborn girls at the facility due to the inability of her husband, Adeyemi Ademola, to pay the sun of N150, 000 owed the hospital.
A nurse with the facility said that the children were in good condition and that they had given them (the parents) till weekend.

“If they don’t come to claim the children, we will hand them (the twins) over to the government.”
it was learnt the hospital took into action its ‘threat’ after the matter was reported to Somolu Police Station.
But the report went viral and well meaning Nigerians indicated interest in settling the bills, as well as helping the family.
Among those who showed interest were the wife of the Lagos State Governor, Bolanle Ambode; non-governmental organisations, a retired military officer, Gen. Oviemo Ovadje, a member of the Senate representing Lagos East, Senator Gbenga Asafa, among others.
The matron of the hospital, Mrs. Gloria Akinbobola, confirmed the willingness of some persons to aid the family.
She told newsmen, “Immediately the report came out this morning, an NGO came and transferred the balance into our account. They also promised to give the family N50,000 to take care of the babies.
“They don’t want to be identified. We have received calls from many other people. A lot of them have been making promises.
“Another NGO that visited earlier on Thursday eventually paid the bills.
“A representative of Senator Asafa, Kanmi Adebowale, said the N100,000 gift was for the upkeep of the girls, adding that the senator decided to support the family because they lived within his senatorial district.”
The woman’s husband, who said he was frustrated by the development and that he was making efforts to settle the bills, said, “Those who owe me debts have refused to pay.
“We are grateful to Nigerians.
“We have found the mother of the twins, but the problem is that she is terribly sick and has been taken to her hometown in Agbowa,” he told newsmen at the medical facility in Lagos.
The mother of the child, when asked how she felt ‘abandoning’ her own children, said, “I didn’t abandon my twins. I had to flee the maternity centre because I was not well taken care of. All they were interested in was their money.
“They said they would not attend to me until their N300,000 was complete. I was abandoned in the place. I had to run away to find solution to my health but I am in a place where they are treating me now.
“Please pray for me to survive. I am dying. I don’t want to die. I want to live to take care of my babies. I want to reap the fruit of my labour,” Ms Ademola sobbed 

No comments:

Post a Comment